An Intro to my Diet Plan

On my birthday, at 4am, my boyfriend brought up my favorite ice cream cake and sang happy birthday to me! After serving me a slice, he pulled out a ring and proposed! I am so excited to begin my life with him and I want to begin our new life with a renewed self image. So, here I am, one of those brides, getting in shape for her wedding!
This page is as much to keep myself accountable as it is to help other brides on their journey (or those who just want some down to earth, friendly dieting tips) I am not an expert (although, sometimes I feel like one), these are just lessons learned from my experiences.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

My First Week

So, since my birthday on July 13th, I have started a 10 lbs in 10 days quick jump into my diet!  I created a meal plan the day before starting, and made a concise shopping list and prepped my next few dinners and lunches.  Today is day seven and I'm 6 lbs down!  Exercising isn't really my thing, but I've managed to go walking 3 days so far (and can't go out today because of the heat)
Here's a summary of a few days meal plans:

Day Meal Food
Friday Breakfast 1/2 toasted english muffin, poached egg, steamed spin with light hollindaise
  Snack 1 string cheese, 1/2c pineapple
  Lunch Light tuna salad over greens with cucumber slices
  Snack 1/2c grapes 
  Dinner Lemon Chicken with 1c steamed spin



Saturday Breakfast High fiber oatmeal
  Snack 1c sliced strawberries, 1/2c yogurt
  Lunch 3 oz Turkey, 1/4 Avocado and 1c Arugula Salad topped with 1 tsp dijon 2tsp olive oil, and vinegar
  Snack Celery sticks with 2 tbsp hummus
  Dinner Chicken with 1c Broccoli and 1/2c brown rice



Sunday Breakfast Egg White and Mushroom Scramble with fat free cheddar
  Snack 3/4 c pineapple and 1/2c yogurt
  Lunch Tuna Salad over greens with cucumber slices
  Snack celery sticks/broccoli with 2 tbsp hummus
  Dinner Rotisserie Chicken and 1 cup sauteed spin with garlic and lemon Side salad with 1/4 avocado, 1 tsp olive oil, lemon and balsamic vinegar

The English Muffins I like are Thomas's Better Start Light Whole Grain (with 8 grams of fiber and only 45 calories a muffin, it's the best choice I've found).  I use Smart Balance Light instead of butter, I found Kraft makes a fat free mayo that tastes great in my tuna salad!  For high fiber oatmeal, I like Quaker high fiber maple and brown sugar, or you could have a high fiber cereal with skim milk.
To make things easier, I buy the prewashed greens and presliced fruit.  On the Saturday lunch, I combined the dijon, balsamic and oil in a bowl and whipped up till smooth (with a fork worked just fine) I added some pepper and it was one of the best dressings I've ever had!  Scale this up and make a batch at the beginning of the week for your salads or mix up the flavors with lemon, garlic or any herbs you like!

Tuna Salad Recipe:
4 oz. Canned White Tuna in Water (it is important to make sure it is not in OIL!!)
1 tsp Kraft fat free mayo
dash lemon, salt and pepper to taste
Added to texture (and tastes great) chopped celery

Eat over greens with some sliced cucumber for lunch!
To prep these meals, I made the tuna salad ahead of time.  I bought portion sized tupperware and filled with the greens and cucumber.  On the day of, just plop your portion of tuna salad over the salad and go!  To prep the chicken dinners, I bought fresh cut lean chicken breast from the grocery store (I like Perdue lean cuts), place in the tupperware with some of the seasonings from the meal (lemon and pepper for lemon chicken day, a tsp of low-sodium soy for an asian flare on day 2, for a simple chicken, just sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper)  On the day of, just place in ovenware and bake!  The night before I will sometimes bag my smacks for the following day and put them with the tupperware for lunch so that I can grab everything on my way out the door for work!
I allow about  1 1/2 hours between meals/snacks.

So Amber (my sister) gave me a great idea for walking motivation.  Put a good audio book on your audio player and only listen to it when you walk!  Since I started doing that, I look forward to my walks!  I make sure to push myself, but not too hard!  I don't want to burn out by taking on too much at the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment